Skip to main content

The Estate

Between an agricultural estate and a noble residence


At the start

In 1449, the manor house was the hunting lodge of the Bishop of Redon, Jacques d’Espinay, and today the tower and the library are legacies of this period.


The new residence of Lord Michiel du Vaudart

The Manoir du Vau d’Arz, built on noble land and surrounded by an agricultural estate, became the residence of Lord Michiel du Vaudart in 1540. Of ancient chivalry dating back to 1339, the Michiel family originally hailed from the diocese of Saint-Malo.

In the 16th century, the manor house was a large seigneurial estate, which included the Moulin du Vau d’Arz and land surrounding Rochefort-en-Terre and Malansac.


The Carmoy family succeeds

The manor house was first the property of the Michiel du Vaudart family before the Michiel de Carmoy family took over ownership until the 19th century.

1728 – 1846

The manor house becomes a farm

The Manoir du Vau d’Arz was converted into a farm and sold to the Dondel du Fouedic family in 1843 by Mrs. Rosalie Michiel du Carmoy.


The square tower restoration

During the 20th century, the manor house operated as a farm before becoming a second residence. It was during this era that the square tower was restored.


Renovation of the manor house

In 2008, extensive work transformed the manor house into a multi-faceted site. In terms of its appearance and architectural decoration, the building remains a manor house. Yet, its interior comfort and integration into the surrounding landscape make it a cosy cottage. The wooden spiral staircase set into the thickness of the walls is its trademark. It is a highlight when visiting the manor house along with its park, surrounding wall, river and wooden bridge.